2024 Fettle Those Finishes proposal

2024 Fettle Those Finishes proposal

I'm linking up with one of my favorite online personalities Mini Archie the Wonder Dog and his wonderful person, Helen, to plan the top priority projects for 2024. We're sharing our lists and encouraging each other on the monthly Linky parties.

If you'd like to join in, please do so at the 2024 Fettle Those Finishes! blog post.

This year, I'm taking a look at my plans for the year including quilts to enter in September's QuiltFest and all the Guild Donation and Challenge Items. It's a little difficult for me being in 2 guilds and working a full time job AND having my own priority projects. It's time to set some limits on participation in the monthly challenges.

For QuiltFest (drop off in early September for judging), I will complete 3 quilts to submit 4:

  1. Already done is the PBJ 2021 Color Challenge doll-size quilt with custom 2" blocks
  2. PBJ 2021 Color Challenge Twin-sized quilt (UFO 1) out of the 24 blocks, 12 are 12" and 12 are 6" which I want to make inspired by the Doll-sided quilt
  3. Free Motion Quilting Academy Sampler (UFO 2) which has a completed Flimsy and already purchased batting, backing and binding
  4. 2024 QuiltFest Challenge quilt (UFO 3) because one of my guilds is the host of this year's QuiltFest I wanted to participate as fully as possible. This quilt must be an original design inspired by the theme "Sew Your Heart Out" and use the kit provided fabrics

PBJ 2021 Color Challenge Doll Quilt of 2" blocks:


PBJ 2021 Color Challenge 24 quilt blocks design wall layout (UFO 1):


FMQA Sampler Flimsy (UFO 2):


Then there's the Quilt Guild Participation items, I must look at all my extra add on projects because I LOVE to say I will join in and then get my own projects pushed down to lower priority. I don't want to do that this year. Instead, I want to limit my participation knowing that I am already committed to the following, lines start with Due Date:

  1. Mar 5 - HB 2024 Opportunity (Raffle) Block - Heart Bird - makes money for the guild - pieces cut and ready to start sewing assembly
  2. May 19 - JAX MQG 10-year anniversary Paint Chip Challenge - Paint Swatches picked at Jan 22 meeting
  3. Jun 9 - JAX MQG Annual Birthday Party Donation Block(s) - usually assembled for charity quilt
  4. Jul 2 - HB 2024 Exchange Quilt Strips (32)
  5. Jul 2 - HB 2024 QuiltFest Donation Cat Quilt (same pattern as last year?)
  6. Aug 6 - HB Birthday Party Lottery Block (one guild member wins all blocks)
  7. Nov 16 - HB Elfin Magic workshop date, start for ~6 projects to be completed before year-end
  8. Dec 3 - HB Holiday Party Lottery Block (one guild member wins all blocks)
  9. Dec 15 - JAX MQG Holiday Party Donation Block(s) - usually assembled for charity quilt

Both guilds usually have a monthly challenge. IF that challenge aligns with other projects I am working on, then I will participate, but otherwise, I need to focus on my own projects each month.

Once I get through QuiltFest in September, I am hoping to focus on some bag making due to the kits I have and didn't get through last year.

Another area of focus is the 46 UFO items that were started before 2024 with fabric cutting at the very least. Last year, several UFO's were found during the year, I'm hoping that I've already found all the UFO's and can continue to work on completing these as my skills increase and I get past what ever block stopped me before.

Here's the fresh and clean January 1st version of the 2024 tracker with the UFO list (one edit after the screenshot, Smitten2 is only UFO through Month 9 instead off 12):

The hand-sewing has it's own path even though the started projects are in the UFO list. The Smitten2 BOM is still actively in progress, Pink Door Fabrics has sent 12 of 16 fabric packages. As of this writing I've almost got Month 8 cut and basted. I'd like to get all the months cut and basted and hanging in baggies in my home office closet as it takes me a long time to get the blocks sewn together. Block 4B is ready to be pressed then attached. Block 4C is currently being assembled. That's okay with me. Once I'm caught up on Smitten2 EPP prep, I'll continue with the Alchemy EPP prep. There's 2 more quilts from Pink Door Fabrics to prep into block kits, Smitten1 and Haunted Hexies. It's going to take years for me to hand sew, but these are projects that I'm loving.

Other than the priority items listed above I do have some preferred projects:

  1. On January 19th, from the UFO list, the Blue Rail Fence with Minky back (UFO 46) was completed, so that was one of my priority projects for 2024
  2. Easy Breezy twin size - Quiltville's 2020 Leader/Ender pattern - design is ready, 45 of 180 blocks assembled (UFO 4) - several block kits are ready to sew as quilt blocks are pieced
  3. Sewing H.Q! quilted sign (UFO 11) - sandwiched and ready for quilting once I get more comfortable with FMQ working on the FMQA Sampler (UFO 2 & QuiltFest entry)
  4. HB 2022 Exchange Blocks quilt (UFO 43) - flimsy ready - backing selected - binding selected, need dark batting and to pick thread - want to use a FMQA Sampler quilting pattern and donate to JAX MQG which collects donation quilts for local charities
  5. Jelly Roll Race quilt (UFO 23) - flimsy ready, border fabrics and binding selected - this one is pastel and my color palate so I may swap it for my "Adding Hope" quilt in my office on the gliding rocker for my meditation time. Adding Hope can be my wrap for my TV watching chair as I need a smaller lap quilt there.
  6. PBJ 2020 Color Challenge Flimsy (UFO 5) - 24 blocks (12 dark and 12 light) made, but only making 20 of those into a quilt. The others will plan on making into some kind of pillow or pillow case - also have minky backing to make a throw for husband. Would love to have this made for Christmas 2024!
  7. Free Motion Quilting Academy Whole Cloth quilt - new project - required to graduate from String and Story's Free Motion Quilting Academy along with the Sampler (UFO 2 & QuiltFest entry)

That's my 2024 plan for now. I love watching the evolution of my crafting journey.

Gracie showing off the Sewing H.Q! sign as 3 above (2024 UFO 11).

What are you planning for 2024? Join up with us this year!!!


Link-ups:

Comments

  1. That is a very thorough plan, I’ve loved reading it! And how lovely to see a fresh spreadsheet all set for the year, too! Good luck and th ask for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! I hope that I read it a few more times this year to remember my focus. It's so refreshing to start the spreadsheet over. Your hosting the linky parties is so appreciated!!!! Good luck with your list also!

      Delete
  2. Great plan. Good luck with all your making this year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janine! I'm glad that I wrote this down so succinctly this year. I've been able to refer back to it. Good luck with you plan also!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts