Quilt Guild Name Tag Challenge - One Monthly Goal met

Finished the January One Monthly Goal which is also the first finish off the 2020 Q1 Finish-A-Long list. This post will be held until both January Secret Sewing projects have been reveled.


Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal January 2020 Finish Link-Up to link up your own proposed finish. My proposal post is HERE which was #32 in the OMG Proposed Link-Up.

The local Modern Quilt Guild decided to run a Challenge due the end of January meeting, new quilted Name Tags. The name tag is #1 on my 2020 Q1 Finish-A-Long list HERE leaving 119 left to go.

Being the first time I can make my own name tag without a required symbol being provided, I was searching for inspiration. The first thing was favorite colors: Yellow and Green! Which leads to favorite flower: Daffodil!

Here's Kipper in front of a few daffodils and then forsythia in a neighbor's yard back in our old town. A view that I will miss in March along with those neighbors.


Checked in with Dr. Google for patterns, found a few. Selected Piece by Number pattern.

Since the other Quilt Guild had a Post Card Challenge due the beginning of January. I could test a foundation paper pieced Daffodil. The search for how small I could go lead me to buy a book on FPP. Followed her instructions and others online and found that small pieces are possible.

Mom's Birthday is the beginning of February. She is a bee keeper and making the postcard for her birthday was the inspiration to take the Honeybee pattern also by Piece by Number and zoom the print-outs to match the desired final size:

It turned out just like I wanted it to. So then, how to make the card for the back? Oh yeah, I got a Cricut Maker and supplies including a glitter pen and cardstock. Using those supplies the 4" x 6" card was created:

While this turned out just like I wanted, continuing to try and work the Daffodil and my name in FPP into the Name Tag just didn't provide inspirational:

A rainbow quilt caught my eye on Pintrest and reminded me of the Kimberbell Basics table runner finished in 2017:

There were leftovers from the table runner. So the name tag background was organized as 6 x 4 squares to be cut down from the 2.5" squares left-over from the above quilt:

The squares were cut to 1.5" and laid out on a lined interfacing panel 9" x 6". Trixie came out to investigate the progress:


Hubby found a font that I liked. Roughly testing the letters cut out with the Cricut Maker looks like this:


 Background laid out and letters ready to be pressed to the background:

Finally to the sewing machine! Background sewn together and ready for letters:

The 6th column made the name tag too wide for my short name so it was removed when squaring up. FMQ around the names and SITD: of the squares


Binding added with ties from a fabric bundle ribbon. I am so very pleased by how it turned out:



The binding was applied by machine for the second time based on Jen Strauser, Dizzy Quilter, Accurate and Attractive Machine Binding which turned out exactly as I wanted. I also tried trimming the corners as suggested by Bonnie Hunter on YouTube Quilt-Cam 1/5/2020. I will need to try it again with another piece to decide if I like that method.

What do you think? Any suggestions?

Link-Ups:
* Elm Street Quilts January One Monthly Goal Finish Link-Up as #69


Comments

  1. Looks great! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Patty. Very much appreciate your hosting!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts