Two QuiltSmart Gadget Holders for 2018 Q3 Finish-A-Long

In the home stretch for the 2018 Q3 Finish-A-Long & I got another finish to increase my count up to 6 finishes so far!!! Woot woot. #2018FALQ3DawnTuxKipperKelly

Making two QuiltSmart Gadget Holders was #14 on my Original Finish-A-Long List URL entry #7: Finish-A-Long_2018Q3The entries were copied to a blog post:  2018 Q3 Finish-A-Long list.

QuiltSmart has some great products where you press interfacing to the back of your fabric and sew along the printed lines following their directions. And walla! perfect outcome. I used similar pre-printed interfacing to make a tablerunner in a Quilt Guild class in 2017 and love the result.

Original picture of Fabric Line selected
I had the below sparkly/shiny Christmas 10" squares and that seemed like more fun than the original Layer Cake (10" squares) that I thought I might use, see above.
Supplies re-selected
I decided to start with the green and watched the video on the QuiltSmart product page: HERE. Since I selected the white fabric with some spotted gold flecks for the tabs, I used white thread. Next time, I'll select matching thread as close as possible.
Almost done - had to add more Walnut Shells to the large section
Oopsy, the green one wasn't as full as it needed to be so the top was floppy. See below where I folded it over. So next, I found the shiny maroon thread and finished the machine sewing on the Red one before doing any more stuffing.
Red one is sewn and without stuffing
The next night, Hubby and I debated what the filler would be. All but the last 1/4 cup of Walnut shells were used in the green one. I wanted to buy terrarium sand, but he didn't want a 5-lb bag of sand sitting around. He suggested black beans, but that sounded lumpy to me. After getting a step-ladder and finding everything in the back of the top cabinet shelf, being only a little over 5' tall means I need some vertical assistance.

Since I started reading Dr. Steven Gundry's The Plant Paradox there are several grains that I won't be eating. I am currently lectin sensitive with a leaky gut. One of those grains is Quinoa. Guess what, I had just the right amount (1.5 cups) of Quinoa left and now it's all in the main body of the red gadget holder.
Two QuiltSmart Gadget Holders completed
Clover clips were perfect to keep the 2 sections closed until the hand sewing was completed. QuiltSmart suggests glue, but I didn't have any and didn't want to wait for an order to be delivered.

And so tonight I'm done with these! Hubby and I will get to try these out in the kitchen and maybe his office.

UPDATE: Luckily I made the green one for me and the Red one for him AND he liked the red one better. The red sparkly one is in his office. If you know the Dressing Your Truth System maybe you'd guess I'm a Type 1 with the bright green and bright shiny gold dots on my gadget holder.

Link-Ups:
* Marci Girl Designs: 2018 Finish-A-Long Q3 Finishes Link Up as #52

Comments

  1. Nice! Love your fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of QuiltSmart, it sounds great! Those gadget holders look wonderful, I'm sure they come in handy. Thank you for participating in the Finish-A-Long, on behalf of all the hosts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. I found QuiltSmart online after taking a class with printed on interfacing that made things so easy to match 2.5" grid corners that I HAD to get some of their products. They have quite a variety now. And I absolutely LOVE the gadget holders!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts