Wait Loss Wednesday State Fair Quilts & Pigger's story

The Inquiring Quilter is having a special Wait Loss Wednesday on Thursday this week featuring State Fair Quilts. I didn't enter any quilts this year, but have entered quilts in two New Jersey County Fairs and even won ribbons in the past 2 years.

In July of 2016, my first quilt was finished and I entered it in the Monmouth County Fair and it won a blue ribbon. There is a limited amount of space on the racks so they fold the quilts. This one is throw-sized.
2016 Monmouth County Fair

In 2017, My Wall Hanging Storm At Sea quilt won a first place Blue Ribbon at the Monmouth County Fair and a second place Red Ribbon at the Middlesex County Fair. This was a very exciting year to be able to enter both nearby county fairs since the dates did not overlap as in 2016.


2017 Monmouth County Fair

2017 Middlesex County Fair
A donation dolly quilt that I made also earned a second place Red Ribbon at the Middlesex County Fair. It's the one with the green stars on a yellow square.
2017 Middlesex County Fair
My first bag (Swoon pattern named Ethel) also earned a second place Red Ribbon at the Middlesex County Fair in 2017.
2017 Middlesex County Fair

Getting this feedback/validation of my sewing has increased my confidence and enjoyment of my craft. I highly recommend entering.

The local county fair in Pennsylvania growing up was also a successful experience for me. I made clothing with the 4-H group my Mom hosted. She also supported me in making Zucchini bread which won a blue ribbon.

The other fair memory I have is when my Dad decided to give a pig an advantage in the greased pig contest. Dad got one of the piglets a couple months before the fair. Dad lived on part of the old family farm with lots of property. We did not do any farming ourselves. Dad gave the pig run of the yard. When Dad drove up after work, the piglet, named Pigger would come running over to see Dad. They had a great relationship. Pigger was so cute and ran around and enjoyed life on the property without any fences. The day of the fair arrived and Pigger goes to the fair, gets greased up, and runs around eluding the kids trying to pick him up. Dad's plan was successful, Pigger was really fit and made those kids work hard to try and catch him. Too bad, that was the end of our relationship with Pigger, he went back to the pig farm with his siblings as was Dad's arrangement with the farmer.

The thing that happened to Dad after that was that everyone gave him pig related items for his birthday, Christmas, and any other time we found them. I gifted him dice with a pig outline instead of the one pip. In the old yellow house, the center of the stairs between the 1st and 2nd floors with the 180-degree turn was named "Pigs Landing" and that's where most of the pig-themed memorabilia was housed on shelves.

Now the 5 pig dice sit on a bookshelf in my office where I see them every day. And it reminds me of the fun times with Dad.

What are your favorite Fair memories?

Link-Ups:
* Inquiring Quilter - Wait Loss Wednesday 81 - State Fair Special

Comments

  1. Oh my what wonderful memories! I'm so proud you won a ribbon on your very first quilt! Mine wouldn't win any ribbons, believe me. As you know my earliest fair memory was also of entering through 4-H. I'm a city kid, but they were offering classes during the summer and I took cooking and hand-embroidery. My towels may have won 2nd? but my banana bread won 1st at the county fair qualifying it for the state fair where it won honorable mention I think.

    I just love the Pigger story. So sad you had to give him back. What a cute pet he would have made! Thanks for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the inspiration Jennifer for writing down the fair memories and Pigger's story. Great job on your entries. It's so much fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts