June Review / Furtle
As defined by Mini Archie, ‘Furtling’ means ‘having a rummage, a delve, a look at the contents of something’. So I have furtled around to see what I have been doing this month and now I’m going to furtle around the blogs of anyone else who links up over at Archie the Wonder Dog!
-Janine at Rainbow Hare on 2/28/2019
To socialize with my online crafty friends I'm linking up with Mini-Archie, one of my favorite online personalities, and his person for the monthly progress link-up from
Fettle Those Finishes!
Continuing weekly stats here for possibly linking up once a month with Kate at Life In Pieces. My 2021-2024 goal was to stitch at least 15-minutes 50% of the days in the year. 2025 and forward, the goal is any number of minutes in a day for 50% of the year since the puppy is still under 2-years old he's a handful and I want as much time to enjoy him.
- Week 27: 7 of 7 = 100 %
- 107 minutes/day average across 7-days
- Week 28: 7 of 7 = 100 %
- 67 minutes/day average across 7-days
- Week 29: 7 of 7 = 100 %
- 101 minutes/day average across 7-days
- Week 30: 7 of 7 = 100 %
- 126 minutes/day average across 7-days
- Week 31: 5 of 5 = 100 %
- 54 minutes/day average across 5-days
- July 31 of 31 = 100 %
- 2026: 209 of 212 = 99 %
July has flown by with so many changes. I have figured out several things about my health and had some better days recently. I am now rinsing my sinuses with homemade warm saline water every day after walking the dogs. There are foods which either contain histamine or trigger histamine creation in my body. I experimented with a few foods and reducing the volume or leaving them off some meals has had a positive impact. Everyone is doing alright with oodles of regular ups and downs. The dogs and sewing and time with my husband continue to be balm to my soul.
Focus continues slowly on my projects planned in 2026 see my Furtle planning post
HERE.
Projects Half Done Progress update:
There were 53 projects already started before January 1, 2026 (up from 52 in 2025). The below screenshot of my projects from the spreadsheet provided (and a little expanded) by QuiltingGail is my 'official' list with reference numbers used throughout the year.

As of July 31st, 10 projects have been completed (Blue Highlight), 2 UFO's and 8 new projects. 2 projects completed in July (Green Highlight on completion Date), 0 UFO's and 2 new projects. 8 projects progressed in June (Pink Highlight), 4 UFO's and 4 new projects.
How did sewing go?
July Projects Completed:
1) Completed a 2nd pair of HST's for my local Modern Quilt Guild's Community Challenge Quilt since there were more packs available at the July meeting. This pair will be turned in during the August meeting. 2025 JAX MQG Community Challenge Quilt bag 25's 2 HST's is 2026 Project 16 completed in 11-minutes.
2) Brought Red, White and Blue stripes piece (top center of photo) used to test sewing ledge for accurate quarter inch seam allowance for Modern Quilts to be made for Veterans this year for the 250th anniversary of the USA. 2025 JAX MQG Red, White and Blue Challenge block is 2026 Project 14 completed as part of another project.
I won a gift card for a local Quilt shop for bringing my block. July Projects Progressed:
1) Smitten2 now has both Block 7A and the first of 2 Month 6 side-setting Triangles (horizontal stripe) attached to the flimsy. I prefer attaching the side Triangles after the blocks so the 2nd one will have to wait until 7D is made and attached. Pink Door Fabrics’ Moon Garden Smitten 2 is 2025 UFO 7, Month 6 in progress for 43-hours and 10-minutes out of 270-hours and 51-minutes on the entire quilt top.
2) During July, the Miniature, smallest size from the Deb Tucker’s Studio 180 pattern, Tumbling Triangles had quilting and binding finished. I’d been wanting to make this pattern for 9-years since my first guild had a class that I couldn’t attend in June of 2017. The label and hanging sleeve need to be added to both hang it here at home and have it be ready for the September quilt show.
This is my first quilt using the diagonal binding technique and it was difficult. I'm looking to improve on the process by trying it on the other 2 quilts that need to be finished for the quilt show. Note: Found a YouTube where the book author gave a few more helpful steps.
Quilt Front (14"x14"):
Miniature Tumbling Triangles is 2026 Project 6 in progress for 79-hours and 29-minutes estimated to be 95% complete.
3) January page is completed! GothamQuilts' Embroidery 101 with Dizzy Quilter, Jen Strauser, Embroidery Sampler book 2026 UFO 53’s January page completed in 10-hours and 1-minute out of 23-hours and 7-minutes for the entire course estimated to be 28% complete.
I was feeling less confident when I started this page so I chose a muted thread to match closer to alleviate my nerves. I really like having the different color threads to show off how the stitches combine.
4) Treasured Tumbling Triangles flimsy is really complete and pressed ready to be made into a sandwich. The backing is seamed together (3 pieces) and ready for a final pressing before the batting is also prepared. Treasured Tumbling Triangles is 2026 Project 7 in progress for 29-hours and 50-minutes estimated to be 60% complete.
5) Happy as a Clamshell - New EPP Clamshell quilt to learn new techniques, hand-basting, clamshell shape and applique before the PaperPieces.com Hexie Keep is received late in the year. Also, I've decided to hand quilt this one and to avoid quilting through glue, I'm hand basting the shapes. I've not done that and I knew I needed something fun to play with to learn something new. We shall see what happens. I bought the kit and same background and bindings as the example. All my Clamshells and Half Circles are cut and the basting has started. Some of the Clamshells:
Happy As A Clamshell is 2026 Project 15 in progress for 2-hour and 31-minutes.
6) Alchemy - some more time spend on sewing Rows 1 and folding hexies for Row 3. Old Row 1 shape for fun:
7) Easy Breezy - A few more Leader-Ender Blocks cut and assembly in progress. No new photos.
8) After consulting with Archie Wonderdog on the Rainbow Connection Quilting Plan and probable thread color, steps to progress Rainbow Connection Sampler (RCS) have been written out. RCS sandwich has been pin basted leaving some space for the first quilting section at the bottom. The light grey Glide thread was my table prize at one of this year’s Guild Party meetings. I’m so excited to have it and be able to use it so soon. The sewing machine was cleaned and the circle attachment was tested but needs another test before official quilting begins. Rainbow Connection Sampler is 2026 Project 17 in progress for 2-hour and 29-minutes.
July Stats:
- 2 Completed
- 8 Progressed
- 51 UFO's remaining
- 9 2026 started projects remaining
What did you get done in July?
- Treasured Tumbling Triangles, 2026 Project 7 - Next step is to get the quilt sandwich made and ready for quilting
- Rainbow Connection Sampler, 2026 Project 17 - At the machine and ready for quilting. This will become Number 1 once that quilt sandwich is made.
- Tiny Tumbling Triangles, 2026 Project 6 - Prepare the sleeve and label to have at my work desk to hand-stitch down as I am able.
- Happy as a Clamshell, 2026 Project 15 - Thread baste EPP shapes, Clamshells and Half-Circles as able to take a break during the work day, attempting to complete 1 each day for 5 per week out of the total 42; so far 5 are basted.
- Alchemy, 2026 UFO 6 - Month 3 glue basting of the medallion centers have started, but pushed aside for the Thread Basting above. Also expect to get some sewing done next month when driving Hubby to a dental visit for a procedure.
Link-Ups:
* Mini Archie's July 2026 Furtle Around The Blogosphere as #3
Comments
Post a Comment