Profound Moment - April 8, 2019

What do you do when you have a profound moment? When you want to write it down or share it? Thought through my options: Instagram (no photo), Facebook (difficult to write & edit), ah ha! BLOG!!!!
Image from Sponflower etsy shopQuestion Fabric - Tiny Mini Ditsy Rainbow Print Question Marks Kid Toddler Colorful By Darcibeth

What was the moment?

Use the two fold thinking that my brain does to design both pieced quilt tops AND background texture of quilting.

If you are a Tommy Lee Jones fan and watched him as Two-Face in the 1995 movie Batman Forever, you may know he says "You could say we're of two minds on the subject." And that's how I feel about life situations. It's confusing so much of the time. I have a strong lively, bright, and fast mind AND I have the ability to be structured, focused, determined, and take projects across the finish line. At work and at home, I am often "The Closer" of projects, when someone else has stalled, I get it done! But this ability to fly and be grounded, to hold two points of view about situations, people, etc. has me in a bit of a quandary on what to choose, I see so many possibilities!

Quilting Background

Since 2015 when I started quilting, I have only thought of the single 'layer' of piecing, but I now have fabric to make at least 60 quilts. I LOVE the quilting texture part of the competition quilts that I have seen in person and via photo. I have been wondering how I can accomplish this.

Earlier this week, I saw Lisa Calle's Easter Bunny quilt, see the the gray background in her blog post HERE. She has a beautiful diamond shape in the background that excites me. I want to produce THAT kind of art!!! Multiple layers. I love it!!! (I have not finished my Lisa Calle class project from our quilt guild's rulers class with her, #4 on the 2019 Q2 FAL list)

What caused the moment? 

Reading Thomas Knauer's interview at Why Quilts Matter, Part 1 & Part 2. By the time I started reading Part 2 it was very much striking a chord with me and my other quandary of how to put more of myself into my quilting. How can I use this art to express myself more? I have prided myself for so long on disengaging my emotions from my work. AKA trying to protect myself from the world and potential hurt. Also, I have been told that I run away from difficulties. And it is true. I am feeling more confident in my abilities to be in the world and share myself. This has been easier with the help of certain tools, Self Talk by Shad Helmstetter, The Sedona Method, Healing Codes, and Ho'oponopono. Also by eating the best way for me following The Plant Paradox by Dr. Steven Gundry.

What's next?

Given that all my sewing supplies (except one hand quilt project) is packed away right now, I wonder if I will be able to use EQ8 to help visualize the two layers of quilt top and quilting. Or do I need to print out pages of quilt tops and just doodle?

Do you have any suggestions?
I would love to hear from you. Please comment below.


Comments

  1. I don't have any suggestions other than to follow your nose and see what happens. I know some quilters who use a clear acetate sheet over a quilt design to doodle potential designs with a dry wipe pen, so maybe you could try the same over print outs of quilt tops?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawny, you may want to put your email address in your comments, as you are a no-reply. I strongly suggest doodling on scrap paper and FMQ is motor memory skill. I've also got a plexiglass square that I can lay overtop a quilt and draw on the plexiglass to see scale. Thanks for the QAYG technique to try - will investigate all the possibilities as I have tried just one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandra. That's odd as I checked the box for follow-up comments to be emailed directly to me. The plexiglass sounds great. For QAYG on YouTube, I was watching Georgia Bonesteel Method for Joining Quilt Sections which seemed the most straightforward to me (no extra strips to attach for combining quilt sections). Good luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts